All good issues should come to an finish, and that features The Strolling Useless‘s latest streak of enjoyable episodes, it appears. The present closed out its second batch of episodes with a finale that was filled with sound and fury, signifying… effectively, little or no.
“Acts of God” is not at all a horrendous episode of TWD, however it takes the assorted storylines the present has been threading via the final couple of months after which gently units them down as an alternative of satisfyingly tying them off. The episode begins robust, with a caption studying “19 HOURS AND ONE ACT OF GOD AGO” simply earlier than Hornsby, at Hilltop alongside together with his Commontrooper troopers, steps in a puddle of blood and brains after which appears to be like up at a sky full of locusts. God (making His second visitor look on the present) unleashing a Biblical plague is a hell of a technique to kick off a mid-season finale, or so it might appear.
Figuring out Hornsby’s forces are on the best way, Maggie, Ezekiel, and a child who I will title Redd W. Shurt depart Hilltop to drop Maggie’s son Hershel off with Negan, Annie, and the opposite Riverbenders, who’ve been hiding in an previous ( and extraordinarily giant) ex-Whisperer bunker. Hornsby sends Daryl, Gabriel, and Aaron out with some Commontroopers who’re clearly alleged to kill them later, however the trio manages to kill all of them with solely Aaron sustaining a wound. The evening falls, Maggie leaves a tripwire within the Hilltop mansion to kill some ‘troopers, Leah shoots Mr. Shurt kind of between the eyes, after which issues get type of complicated.
Maggie, Leah, Daryl, Aaron, Gabriel, and Hornsby and his troopers spend the majority of the remainder of the episode wandering round a darkish forest, making it very tough to get any type of sense of the place the characters are in relation to one another . This can be so as to add suspense to the proceedings, particularly Maggie and Leah’s hunt for one another, however largely the scenes make everybody look misplaced versus tense, particularly since solely three characters handle to fulfill one another.
The primary two are Maggie and Leah, naturally, who’ve a short struggle within the woods earlier than Maggie is knocked out. When she awakes, Leah has her (poorly) tied to a chair, in a cabin, the place she makes the standard “I am gonna kill everybody you like after which kill you” menace/speech. Maggie, fortunately however uninterestingly, manages to free herself from the ropes ostensibly tied by a former black-ops mercenary, and the 2 struggle. To be truthful, it is an amazing, ugly battle between the 2 ladies, they usually beat the holy hell out of one another till the third character stops by, Daryl, who shoots Leah simply earlier than she was about to kill Maggie. If Daryl has any type of an emotional response to murdering the girl he as soon as cherished, he has it off-screen. Hornsby and his troops nearly discover them on the cabin, however Daryl and Maggie escape via a again window, avoiding a doubtlessly attention-grabbing battle that the present is saving for the final third of the collection. Then Hornsby’s Commontroopers take over Hilltop, Alexandria, and Oceanside, unfurling their not-un-Fascist banners over the partitions. The top.
You might have seen I have never talked about the locusts once more, and that is as a result of they do not determine into the story in any respect different. They’re buzzing round for some time, and other people often lookup on the swarms within the sky in apprehension, however they do not do something or have an effect on anybody. You may barely name it an act of God, until that act is God briefly popping up by to remind those that whereas He created the zombie apocalypse, He can convey extra distress down on folks at any time.
Even the motion contained in the Commonwealth is weirdly neutered. Max manages to steal a file titled “Resettlements” from Pamela’s workplace, however when she, Eugene, Connie, Kelly, Magna, and Ezekiel test it out, all it says is that 200 Commonwealthers have been “resetled.” Though the variety of lacking folks has elevated, the gang nonetheless has no concept the place they have been taken as a result of the file is in code. The one factor of consequence that occurs is that Connie decides to write down an article about Kingsley’s heist from two episodes in the past whereas everybody waits for more information, which Governor Pam sees and is kind of vexed by. But when there’s an precise end result to Connie’s front-page story, it is also been saved for the ultimate eight episodes.
So, yeah. Revolution is brewing within the Commonwealth, which we knew. Daryl and the gang are persona non grata with Hornsby, which we knew was coming. Leah died, which is technically a growth, besides this implies she achieved completely nothing after she escaped from Maggie when these spring episodes kicked off again in February. At the very least Hornsby has taken management of the three colonies, however this may certainly really feel extra necessary if we had any concept why he needed them apart from some extraordinarily nebulous sense of “energy.”
Nonetheless, “Acts of God” wasn’t a foul episode, it was only one the present spent spinning its wheels. It is type of a bummer for a mid-season finale—The Strolling Useless‘s ultimate mid-season finale—however it additionally does not squander the goodwill fostered by the spat of solidly gratifying episodes that preceded it. When the present returns this fall, one in all our ragtag teams of survivors will lastly go to warfare with the bigger and better-equipped military of the Commonwealth whereas the opposite tries to destroy the oligarchy from inside. Needs to be an excellent time… no less than for the characters who survive.
- First: I do not know in the event that they’re precise locusts. I am merely assuming that as a result of locusts had been one of many Biblical plagues and the episode is titled “Acts of God.”
- Eugene tells Max she’s essentially the most fantastic factor that is ever occurred in his “heretofore uneventful life.” My dude, you have lived via a zombie apocalypse, satisfied a bunch of individuals you had a remedy that might save the world, and briefly betrayed all your mates and joined the Saviors. “Uneventful” just isn’t the time period I’d use.
- Ooh! Nearly forgot. The Maggie-Negan drama looks as if it is lastly over for good because of Negan rescuing her child Hershel at Riverbend. “No matter has occurred, I’ll always remember that,” she says. I used to be genuinely moved, if solely as a result of I am extraordinarily completely satisfied to see the present transfer on.
- I do not know what the deal is with Hornsby’s new obsession with coin flips is. It comes out of nowhere, after which ends with him mainly turning into the Batman villain Two-Face after Daryl shoots him throughout his cheek.
- I truthfully may discuss in regards to the Commonwealth’s newspaper for about 2,000 phrases. It is completely wild, Nearly the whole lot of the entrance cowl is only a headline, and that headline in “PAMELA MILTON IS LYING TO YOU” which is a tangential level at finest if the story is about her son Kingsley sending folks to their dying to seize him some money. (Additionally, did Pam even know?) What’s even weirder is that the headline is written in 4 wildly completely different fonts, a call that may give any skilled print journalist a mind aneurysm. Additionally, Pam throws about 50 items of paper on Max’s desk. Is the paper 50 pages or did Palm seize 50 copies? If it is the previous, was there not a binder clip or one thing on it? I do know it is the post-apocalypse but when the Commonwealth has ice cream and the power to print a newspaper, it is gotta have workplace provides, proper?
Questioning the place our RSS feed went? You may decide the brand new up one right here,